Serial Killer Research Paper Topics: How to Pick One
Why should anyone write a research paper on serial killers? It is the very question you should keep in mind when assigned to perform a home task on this topic. Serial killers are not products of the long-gone times of Jack the Ripper, but a frightening reality. Moreover, despite all the achievements and efforts of forensic science, various fields related to psychology, psychiatry and different social services, people who have a pathological urge to satisfy their contorted needs through serial killings find new ways to escape both treatment and punishment, as well as to trap victims. The US is the world’s serial killers leader with the share of 76 percent, while Europe ranks second with only 17 percent. And although the number of serial killers fell significantly in the noughties compared to the 1970-1990s, only from 2010 to 2015 more than 500 victims were killed and 54 serial killers were apprehended and identified in the United States.
That’s why you need to understand that you are asked to write about serial killers for a reason – to contribute to preventing this type of crime in one way or another. And that’s why you need to take the task seriously starting from the very choosing of a topic for your serial killers research paper. Some students make a mistake taking allegedly "entertaining" topics like "The US number one dangerous killer" or "The most terrible crimes committed by maniacs in the history." Such topics are suitable for thrilling readers rather than for conducting in-depth research aimed at some practical purpose. Those practical purposes may cover understanding how people become serial killers; what we can do to identify deviant behavior in people early on; what should be done to eliminate factors contributing to the development of violent behavior and so on.
To this end, serial killers are studied in several fields like psychology, sociology, forensics and some other sciences, which consider the phenomenon from various perspectives to better understand it. Obviously, students should choose serial killer research paper topics based on the subject they study and set the appropriate goals - to explore the psychology of criminals, to distinguish the most vulnerable social groups or to learn about ways that may help in catching a serial killer. Even if you are writing without focusing on a particular subject, you can make a real difference by dispelling myths about serial killers and presenting facts that can educate you and your readers.
Research Paper Topics on Serial Killers: Ideas and Examples
We have selected the most promising topic ideas on serial killers covering psychological, social, cultural, demographic and many other aspects of this phenomenon. Note that the list doesn’t include topics on mass murders or school shooting since many forensic schools consider serial killers a separate group of criminals, who are different in their specificity from those mentioned. However, you should clarify through your tutor, which category of criminals you are assigned to research, and if necessary, you can transform the proposed topics accordingly.
- Where did the term "serial killer" come from?
- Family physical, psychological and sexual abuse and deviant behavior in serial killers.
- Mental disorders in serial killers.
- What lies behind a serial killer’s signature?
- Is it possible to diagnose a would-be serial killer?
- What makes a serial killer tick?
- How do juvenile criminals become serial killers?
- Distinctive aspects of repeated murders committed by women.
- The social background of serial killing.
- How does a serial killer differ from a maniac?
- Victim profile: demographic characteristics and individual traits.
- A spree killer, a mass murderer, and a serial killer – terms and legislation.
- Serial killers in the United States: Ethnicity and demographics.
- Are there naturally born serial killers?
- Measures taken by the countries with the highest level of serial killing to reverse the trend.
- Angels of mercy: distinctive features.
- The impact of serial killings on pop culture.
- Are there death penalty alternatives for serial killers?
- Genetic predisposition to violence in serial killers: myth or fact?
- Is there a tendency to increase or decrease in serial killings in the US in the XXI century?
- Serial murders and paraphilia.
- Can modern therapies available for sociopathic and psychopathic disorder set serial killers to rights?
- Criticism of the Macdonald triad.
- Organized, disorganized and mixed killers – how do they differ?
- Multiple murders for money.
You can adjust the offered research paper topics on serial killers to your needs by broadening or, conversely, narrowing them down. Make sure to find and read information on the topic selected before making a final decision to avoid lack of evidence.